Recent Posts



How Do I Change My Name After The Wedding?

Congratulations! I hope your wedding day was all you dreamed of and more.

So now the wedding is over, you're probably pretty excited to change your name right?

One of the most common questions I get asked is "How do I change my name?" So I've compiled some information to help explain the process.

So on your wedding day we sign 3 certificates:

  • One is given to you and is your copy to keep.

  • One is my copy, which I keep on file for my records

  • One is sent to Births, Deaths and Marriages for them to finalise the registration of your marriage. Lets call this your“registered certificate”

Your celebrant will then submit the marriage details online and forward your signed certificate along with the Notice of Intent and Declaration of Marriage to Births, Deaths and Marriages for them to finalise the marriage registration.

The certificate given to you on the day is a legal document and can be used a proof of your marriage. However, if you are wanting to change your name, you will need to apply for a copy of the “registered marriage certificate” (the one that I have sent to Births, Deaths and Marriages to register your marriage)

Please note that although many places now accept the certificate given to you on your wedding day, some organisations will request the “registered” copy. For example Vicroads.

You can apply for your registered copy by clicking here

To make things as easy as possible for you I have compiled some simple steps to help you with the change of name process.

  1. Apply for your registered marriage certificate, through Births, Deaths and Marriages. I have enclosed a completed form to help you do so. You can also apply on line if your prefer.

  1. Once you receive your registered certificate, use that at Vicroads to change your drivers license.

  1. Once you have your drivers license in your new name, all the other changes should be fairly easy. Some places may only require a phone call, others may ask for a copy of your marriage certificate.

  • Vicroads (Drivers license)

  • Medicare Card

  • Bank/Financial institutions

  • Insurances (car, home, personal)

  • Superannuation

  • Utility Bills (electricity, gas, water etc)

  • Passport

  • Australian Tax Office

  • Electoral Roll

  • Ambulance Membership

  • Your workplace

  • Gym or Club Memberships

  • Centrelink – if applicable.

  • FACEBOOK!!! ☺

HINT/TIP - When you receive the registered copy of your marriage certificate from Births, Deaths and Marriages – It is super handy to get a copy of this certificate certified at your local police station. Then keep the certified copy in your wallet for a while. Comes in very handy when you realise you haven’t changed your name somewhere and the name they have on file no longer matches your ID! You then simply show them the certificate and they can update the changes on the spot.

#wedding #namechange #changingnameafterwedding #weddingexpert #janellebridge #celebrant #noticeofintent #bdm #changeofname #marriednam #howtochangename #newsurname #mrandmrs




  • Facebook
  • Instagram